3.10.2008

Cheaters

Turns out that photographers are cheating cheaters who cheat. Lemme 'splain...

I went to a photography seminar on Saturday. I learned a lot. Probably the more seasoned photogs didn't learn so much, but since I am still a bit unsure about f-stoppage, it was excellent for me. I now know how to (well, in theory) use histograms and make them work for me.

Now, I'm sure that before Photoshop, photographers were cheating in their darkrooms... manipulating the negatives to yield fantastic images. They had to be... our eyes see so much more than a camera can, so the trick is to get the camera to pretend to see what you see. Sometimes to do this, you must take 2 pictures of the same scene, using different exposures, and put these pics together. Photoshop makes this easy. (I say "easy" like I know how to do it... I can sort of do it, but it takes me a loooong time.)

So, those fancy nature photos that you think you can't take... well, maybe you can't... but you can come close depending on how much time you're willing to put into post production. In my case, I'm not willing to spend TOO much time in Photoshop, so I'd better learn to improve my picture taking so I don't have to.

While I was at the seminar, Lee was making local art contacts for me. That wasn't his intention for the day, but he's got info for me about the Belvidere art scene.

We got up for church on time yesterday, and were pleased that we were getting out of the house so early. I was eating breakfast and Lee was shaving. I heard an "Argh!" and realized, as Lee just had, that we were NOT, in fact, early. We'd both thought of it several times the week leading up to DST. Oops.

No comments: